Wednesday, July 25, 2007

What makes you so sure that you will wake up from your sleep?


So my friends and I was chatting the other day.

Lazy bum (LB): “Woh, weijie, you still on holiday right? So good, can stay up late and sleep like nobody’s business. How I wish I can sleep away my Monday blues and never need to wake up for work.”

Me: “What makes you so sure you will wake up from your sleep?”

LB (pause for awhile): “Come on lah, my 10 alarm clocks are not toys I put in my room for fun. And setting them every night before I sleep is not a hobby I enjoy. They, of course, have to wake me up.”

Opps...I guessed she was pissed maybe because she was looking for some comfort and not another question from me.

Another lazy bum (ALB): “Besides, we still have our secret weapon, which is, our mom. She will never let us have the chance of skipping our ‘delicious’ breakfast prepared by her.”

Me: “But that’s all provided that you are able to wake up right? What if you really sleep and never wake up? How your brain tells your eyes to open and body to start engine again?”

Marcus AKA The 4D guy: “For me, it’s the calling. For example, I had this dream last night. It’s about 4 chickens laying 5 eggs. 4-7-5-0… Woh, I have to go buy this number. Thanks for remaining me buddy.” And off he went.

Me: “…”

LB: “LoL, I got to go too. Lunch hour is over. Talk to you later. Bye.”

ALB: “ Haha… me too. And don’t think so much, weijie. See you.”

Haven’t really gotten my answer, I proceed to ask a few others…

A maid: “I never sleep. I just close my eyes for 2 hours. Mom and Sir want me to go market buy breakfast. If not, they send me home, back to Indonesia.”

A+ Scholar: “You see, it’s the habit we have since we were born. Of course, babies need more sleeps to let their brains develop and rest, but still, it’s their inner ability to cry and wake up for food and respond to the outer environment. That’s why, for those unconscious patients in hospitals, the longer they sleep, the less likely chance they will wake up….”

A lawyer: “Time is money. Sleep is no money. I love money. I live for money. Talk some more, I need you to give me money.”

An old man in the park (smile): “Are you talking to me? Haha…you good boy…”

A primary school student: “Cannot be late for school. Teacher will scold scold. I must do homework and be a good student then my mommy will buy for me presents.”

A bimbo: “I sleep so I can have no eye bag and stay pretty. Why wake up? Haha…I haven’t think about that.”

Last but not least,

A little girl named ally: “whatever!?!”

No comments: